Monday 1 September 2014

Sexy & Vampy, Oh My!

Ok, so I'm going to tell you a little story about my absence..
The iPhone I had was apparently one of the ones that was fitted with a faulty battery, and twice it had decided to reset itself and delete absolutely everything and hadn't backed up to iCloud properly, so that meant I lost all my photos and all my blog notes :( and I was pretty upset about this, so kinda stopped blogging. Stupid excuse, I know haha but now I finally have a brand new iPhone5 after I figured out what was wrong with the old one! So I'm going to try and do at least one post a month with new things I've been trying out and possibly even a few recreated looks :) so stay tuned!

NOW ON TO MORE FABULOUS THINGS!
My idol and inspiration for everything that is life will always be Kimbra. She recently released her new album The Golden Echo (which you should all check out ;P) and in the lead up to the release, she had a few photoshoots done for different magazines. I absolutely fell in love with one look in particular shown in 1AM Magazine.

Kimbra in 1AM Magazine
I loved the dark vampy lips mixed with the lightness of the blue-green eyeliner, both of which compliment her complexion very well and balance each other perfectly. As Kimbra would say, it's a perfectly juxtaposed composition.
So of course, I immediately saved the photos to my phone and went out the next day to hunt down a perfect match.

I'm fairly certain the colour she's actually wearing is Wicked from the Lime Crime Velvetines line, but I think I came pretty close to a dupe.. though not a cheap one.

My hunt purchases
After picking up my free clutch from the Benefit Real Liner launch, I headed over to the Mac counter and went on a swatching frenzy! A lot of people on Instagram suggested Diva, but it seemed too red on it's own, but I found if I matched it with Nightmoth Liner it gave it that deep browny-red I was looking for.

Diva Lipstick and Nightmoth Liner from MAC
 Once I brought these new cosmetic children home, I couldn't wait to play with them. Diva is such a deep, vampy red on it's own and is quite creamy considering it's a matte lipstick. Nightmoth on the other hand is almost a chocolate brown with a hint of red and it took me a while to apply it nicely!

Top: Nightmoth Liner
Bottom: Diva Lipstick

And so I found pairing them together was the perfect marriage for this look. And although Nightmoth isn't a colour I would usually gravitate towards, I could always wear it under other red lipsticks to darker the look for the colder months, so no money wasted there!

Nightmoth and Diva swatched together
Lip Trial
My lips look quite purple in this lighting, but it was actually a lot deeper and brown-er in real life. So it's not a perfect match, but it will definitely work when I decide to recreate this look (I'm thinking of filming it for a YouTube video and taking photos as I go and possibly wearing it for my birthday "outing" next weekend!)

But basically, I wanted this to be a homage to my favourite artist in the only way I know how. Complimenting art with art :)

I hope you enjoyed this comeback post and please let me know if there are any other looks you want me to create. I'm starting to get more adventurous with my makeup lately!
Until next time,

Hannah Kate xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment